Building A Luxury Home in Park City
If you're ready to build the home of your dreams in Park City, Utah, you likely only have a vague idea of where to start. Maybe you've looked at dozens of properties without finding the home you want or maybe a custom home has been part of your dream for years. Whatever the reason, it's likely that you've never been through the process before. As building contractors, we know that the time and effort you spend at the beginning of the process can greatly affect your ultimate results.
Steps to build a home in Park City
There are a number of crucial steps to building a custom home in Park City, Utah, the last of which is actually breaking ground and building the structure. There's a lot of work to be done before that first shovel (or backhoe) hits the ground.
1. Decide on what you want. The most important aspect of building any dream home is deciding exactly what you want. This includes the size of the home, the architectural style, the number of bedrooms and baths, the fixtures and finishes, and any special rooms like a home office, a studio, or a library. While your architect and designer can help you with some parts of this step, you want a firm idea before you start, with all family members agreeing on the plan. Make it easy to communicate your vision with your team by saving magazine photos and create Pinterest boards of rooms and home exteriors you like. Deciding on exactly what you want before you begin will save you time and frustration as you build your dream house. Making changes in the middle of the process is not only expensive but can alter your timeline.
2. Assemble your dream team. You're going to need a designer to put your ideas onto paper and a plan that your constructor can use to obtain the necessary permits and build your home. We work closely with our sister company HOME Custom Design to design and build exactly to your specifications. You can view past projects by looking at their portfolio.
3. Pick a location and buy your land. Of course, you're going to need land on which to build your dream home. Ideally, you'll want to do this in conjunction with your professionals. At Guardian Homes, we can help you evaluate potential sites and give you advice on such things as the availability of utilities and city services and where to place your house on the lot for the best views.
4. Consult with your team. After you have a site for your home, and you've chosen the team that's going to take your dream from an idea to reality, it's time to sit down and discuss all the things you want from your home. Tell us about your aversion to subway tile or your dream of having French doors that lead out to the patio. Share how you live and how you'll use the home, whether you see kids and pets in the future (or present) and whether one or both of you work at home. Discuss finishes and tell them about that antique light fixture you want to use in the foyer.
5. Construction. After all of your advanced work, you'll finally get to break ground on your project. You'll still want to be available to your team, however. The homeowner is usually needed most months for last-minute decisions. The average Park City custom home takes between 9 and 12 months to complete.
Cost to build a home in Park City
The base cost of a newly-constructed home in Park City is around $300 per square foot. This is in addition to the price of your land and is for standard interior and exterior finishes and does not include any specialty items/systems. Depending on the size of your home, the quality of the fixtures and finishes, and whether you want extras like a sauna, a three-car garage, or terraced deck, your cost per square foot can average upwards of $700 per square foot.
If you've picked a plot of land outside of a development, you may also have costs associated with installing utilities and a septic system, or HOA's. In addition, you may have to pay to connect your home to the electric grid or if you choose, you can install solar panels to generate your own electricity.
If you're ready to start planning your Park City dream home, we're here to help. Talk to our team of home builders in Park City, Utah. Guardian Homes has been helping families like yours create the home they've always wanted for more than 14 years. You can view our online portfolio of past projects on our website. To learn more, contact us today.
Are you ready for us to build your forever home?
Get in Touch
We are dedicated to giving you the best service possible. There is a reason why we have a reputation for being the best custom home builders, and soon enough you'll know why. Building quality homes is our specialty, and we look forward to working with you!